Thomas P. Cella
Tom Cella is a 1983 graduate of Western New England College School of Law and spent one year as a law clerk for the Connecticut Superior Court before joining Howard, Kohn, Sprague & Fitzgerald in 1984. He was made a partner of the firm in 1991. Attorney Cella maintains a diverse litigation caseload which includes the representation of individuals, corporations and municipalities in all phases of trial practice. He primarily represents both plaintiffs and defendants in personal injury litigation.
Attorney Cella has tried over 65 jury cases to verdict. He serves as a Special Master for the United States District Court, District of Connecticut, and as an Arbitrator and Fact Finder for the Connecticut Superior Court where he assists in the resolution and settlement of pending civil matters. Attorney Cella is frequently called upon to mediate or arbitrate civil actions.
Attorney Cella has been elected to membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). ABOTA is a national organization of the top trial lawyers in the country representing both plaintiffs and defendants. He has been recognized by Connecticut Super Lawyers and is listed in Best Lawyers in America in the fields of personal injury, product liability litigation and medical malpractice. Attorney Cella has received the highest rating (AV) from Martindale-Hubbell.
*For more information on how these rating services develop and award their designations, see:
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Member/Advocate
- American Association for Justice
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association
- Hartford County Bar Association
- Manchester Bar Association
Community Involvement and Public Service
- Assistant Town Attorney, Town of Manchester, 1986-89, 1991- 2008
- Fact Finder and Arbitrator, Superior Court, State of Connecticut, 1999 – present
- Special Master, U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 1988 – present
- Life Fellow, Connecticut Bar Foundation
- Past President, Manchester Bar Association
- “Deposition Practice & Procedures, Hartford County Bar Association, 2005, 2006”
- “Cross-Examination of an Accident Reconstruction Expert”, Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association, 2004
- “Superior Deposition Strategies in Connecticut Civil Trial Practice”, National Business Institute, 2002
- “Cross-Examination of the Plaintiff in Minor Injury/Soft Tissue Cases”, Connecticut Defense Lawyer’s Association, 2000